Canon 1Ds Mk 2+28-80/2.8-4L
Historical information …
In 1881, the Grand Duchess Alexandra, being banished from the house her husband, left St. Petersburg and moved to Kiev, where he embarked on his thoughts create the monastic community. Last thought it not only as a convent, but also as a hospital for the poor, in which the role of nurses would carry out the nuns and novices of the monastery. Grand Duchess was able to realize his plan, sacrificing new monastery all their money (part of the funds donated and her family). For about 20 years (1889-1911) the monastery was built about 30 buildings – churches, parochial school with a dormitory, housing for nurses, gold and icon-painting workshops and a hotel. Including been built and hospitals – free hospital with therapeutic and surgical wards, a shelter for the blind and infirm, clinic, pharmacy free dispensing. Chief physician of the hospital of the monastery was appointed Nicholas V. Straw, who became chief assistant of Grand Duchess Alexandra Petrovna actively equipping hospitals with modern equipment monastery, suffice it to say that the first X-ray machine in Kiev (in Russian) has appeared in the monastery hospital. During the first decade of operation (1893-1903 years) used the 5020 hospital patients, free of charge issued more than five million of drugs in the surgical department made 2,298 operations. Often, the Grand Duchess herself assisted surgeons during operations. At the end of the XIX century at the expense of the royal family were built new housing therapeutic hospitals and clinics, and the amount taken by patients has risen to 500 people a day. Grand Duchess Alexandra died in the monastery of April 13, 1900, but the implementation of its plans continued after her death.
Design and construction of the monastery is Vladimir Nikolaev (1847-1911), the diocesan architect of Kiev (later the architect of Kiev Pechersk Lavra). Church of the Intercession and the majestic Cathedral of St. Nicholas, the preliminary design of which was compiled by the son of Grand Duchess Peter N. , have been built in Nikolaev pseudo-Russian style. Bookmark Nicholas Cathedral was held August 21, 1896. The first stone of the cathedral laid the Emperor Nicholas II , the second – the Empress Alexandra Feodorovna, the third – the Grand Duchess Alexandra. Construction of the cathedral lasted 15 years. May 9, 1911, Bishop Paul Chigirinskiy (Transfiguration) consecrated its main altar. At present, the St. Nicholas Cathedral has two floors and six thrones.
In 1925 the monastery was closed; reopened after the occupation by German troops in Kiev, the fall of 1941 – at the request of the nuns Epistimia (Samojlenko) and with the assistance of then living in Kiev Archbishop Antony (Abashidze). The monastery gave temporary residence arrived in Kiev December 18, 1941 on the rights of the diocesan bishop, Bishop Panteleimon of Lviv (Rudyk). In 1943, when approaching the front to Kiev Monastery sisters refused to be evacuated and 40 days spent in a state of siege in the lower church of St. Nicholas Cathedral.
In 1943-1945 he worked at the monastery hospital in 1945-1948 – the infirmary. Committee on repair heavily damaged St. Nicholas Cathedral Monastery headed sister of Patriarch Alexy (Simansky) nun Euphrosyne (Pogozheva); internal repair of the cathedral was completed by May 1949, when the high altar was consecrated in honor of St. Nicholas . However, he remained outside decapitated what became at the closing of the monastery: demolished in the 1920s Dome communist authorities were not allowed to recover. Its original appearance Cathedral has found only in 2006-2010 year.
In 1981, the St. Nicholas Cathedral was damaged by fire, the incident from a lightning strike into the roof of the cathedral. The fire did not penetrate inside the temple, but his putting water severely damaged wall plaster. During repair walls and arches of the church were first painted.
In the 1990s, according to the drawings stored in the archives of the city, wooden Pokrovsky temple was rebuilt in stone and painted inside, restored his dome. Consecration of the temple took place in May 1999.